The Souvenirs section is the busiest one on the site for donations. Because of that, our sanity must be preserved in the form of restrictions and guidelines.
Yasha’s guidelines relate here to the submission criteria and suggestions for work, Giovanna’s are the ones concerning how to submit your work. Give these a read before you submit anything, please! And when you are ready, as we know you’ll be, send your submissions forth to Yasha!
Well, here’s my half of the rules. Easy to remember, easy to implement, and they save time and trouble for us all! And a small bit of advice: never fear that one rejection is a lifetime ban. If I reject you, try harder, because my standards are high but not unreachable. I’d love nothing more than to put your best on the site.
- We will not accept media using images from fanart, doujinshi, or the tarot cards. Please stick to the art provided—there’s enough there, I’m sure you can find something!
- Please, please, please don’t send us anything that looks like it was made in MSPaint. Quality is essential in this section most of all, or we’d quickly be swamped.
Now, I do have a few hints for you all—don’t worry, our restrictions aren’t so tight that no one can get their work up there. If that was the case, what would be the point of having submissions at all?
- Collages aren’t the greatest choice for a wallpaper. Stretch your limits—do something original, and we’re more likely to like it than if you just cut and paste images.
- Be careful of your edges. We had to get rid of some absolutely gorgeous wallpapers that had rough edges on them because it ruined the effect. Don’t let that happen to you!
- For Winamp skins, we recommend against the use of skinning programs. Don’t worry, we’re not going all elitist and throwing out skins made with skinning programs, but they can stifle creativity. Make it your own, and we will appreciate it much more.
Enjoy the hunt, and remember to contribute! This part of the site is yours, the content is yours, the work is yours, we just present it to the group at large. Check the submission criteria and send the bombs away!
These are just a few clarifications to keep Yasha’s inbox from exploding. The more regular the method of receiving the submissions, the easier things are for us, and that makes everyone happy! If there’s something here you simply couldn’t adhere to, explain it in the e-mail: we’re not going to toss you for a necessary exception, but yes, we do get kinda annoyed when people plainly didn’t read this stuff!
- IMPORTANT: Clarify that you’re submitting a wallpaper or winamp skin in the title of the e-mail so no one deletes it on accident.
- If you’re so inclined, we’ll be happy to provide a website plug next to your wallpaper, just lemme know what to link to!
- Wallpaper sizes we accept now: 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×1024, and 1680×1025 (widescreen). Do not just resize your wallpapers to fit all the sizes available here. If it was designed in widescreen, don’t just warp it to 1024×768; be mindful of how the image will display for that resolution.
- Please send your papers in .jpg, .gif, or .png (8-bit) ONLY. All files sent as .gif will be changed to PNG-8, which offers the same image functionality and is smaller. If your image editor won’t save this format, try using this website to change your .gif! (Up to 250KB.)
- Keep the file sizes down to under 500KB per file. Anything above that is pushing the limits of the web space. Widescreen wallpapers will have a little more flexibility here, but please, within reason.
- Submit winamp skins in the .wsz format. This is very easy to do: zip your winamp skin, and then change the file type from .zip to .wsz. The computer does the rest for you. Doing it this way will also allow a readme file that will be visible from Winamp!
- This isn’t a demand since not everyone can do it, but if you can, it’s most convenient for all involved to send the images inside the e-mail, instead of attached as files. Please try to avoid sending links to your work; keep it in the e-mail.