|Welcome to Empty Movement! This humble little site has been Revolutionary Girl Utena's home on the internet for over a decade now! Thank you, fans, contributers, and vIRGins—you keep Empty Movement alive with your interest and enthusiasm, and we love you for it!
Nozomi Entertainment's gorgeous state-side releases of the remastered show conclude now with the third and last box set, comprised of episodes 25-39 and a super awesome special bonus: the movie! Show your support for these great releases, and if you got them all through Right Stuf, look forward to your neatpants reward!
Also, as part of the promotion of these releases, Nozomi forced Ikuhara at gunpoint (I'm guessing!) to answer some submitted questions! Check out their site!
And! Before we move on to the updates, if you've been living under a rock, perhaps you haven't heard that Ikuhara's at it again, with Mawaru Penguindrum, airing now in Japan! Join us on In The Rose Garden to discuss and scream and cry at Ikuhara being...well, himself.
2011-12-06 - It wouldn't do to leave the last box set's release unnoted! Here's comin' at you with a little update that took a huge amount of work. :(
Due to some new changes in how web hosts manage accounts like this one, I've had to do massive under-the-hood work, so much of the effort of this update should go unnoticed. Don't wanna bore you guys with the details, suffice to say I've done about a month's coding and troubleshooting and want to set the world on fire.
HOWEVER, I don't come empty-handed!
• A new section in the Akio shrine: The Machines. A work in progress, the current offering is an extensive analysis of his favorite toy car. Check out Things That Go Vroom in the Night!
• Thanks to Rhyaniwyn of IRG, a new interview is available at Mouths of Babes. This moderated IRC chat with Chiho Saito from at least a decade ago actually includes yours truly. My god, I've been around for a while, and since I ask about Saionji and use 'Akio-no-Miko' as my chat handle...can't say as I've grown much.
• Extensive and ridiculous code and database changes in the gallery. I won't bore you with details, but in theory, you shouldn't notice much different, except that images unrelated to the actual series are now on a separate database with different URLs. The gallery functions as before, with the exception of no longer having a search feature. (It was never implemented, anyway.)
• Updated the links section with some new stuff, and stripped the dead links.
2011-05-29 - As you can imagine, Empty Movement's not going to sit by and let an event like this go unmarked! Here's comin' at you with a super awesome site update, with a new subsection and a new hosted site! And more! And so go on...
• All new subsite! From the Mouths of Babes is a compilation of the interviews, commentaries, and goings on of the creators of Utena, primarily Be-Papas. Here you'll find Ikuhara's movie commentary, interviews where Enokido discusses guns versus swords for the series, and information about Be-Papas. Explore, enjoy, and laugh at Nanami-cow! (Also, this is my almost pure CSS layout. I know, late for that party...)
• New gallery artwork! Mostly stuff from the Japanese remasters! Several new images of Utena and Anthy, with a few more from the CD boxes. Also some miscellany, and a couple images that got color-corrections.Does anyone have a better scan of this Animerica Extra cover?
Clarice of In the Rose Garden offers up two analysis essays for our enjoyment. For The Garden Where All Love Ends: A Discourse Upon The Black Rose Saga, may be familiar to some of you older fans, as it circulated several years ago around the fandom and effectively schooled all of us on how to analyze the show critically. Sometimes I wonder if this essay isn't where it really started for this section, and it's an honor to be able to offer it now. She also offers a deconstruction of Nanami, uncovering what we weren't looking for, and making us appreciate what we saw all along.
• Two cool new fanarts of the Shadow Play Girls, thanks to evrim!
• Linn has donated the transcriptions of episode 38 and 39 of the show in Japanese with romanizations! Hit up the script section and study hard!
A link added to the pages for the 7th and 8th soundtracks in Audiology leads to translations of several of the Seazer tracks!
• Obviously, a new front page. :) The old one was getting dreary, no?
• (Non-EM) Dirty Hands is a website for the translation project of Shounen Ou (Boy King), a novel with visuals that was created after SKU as a collab between Enokido and Hasegawa of Be-Papas. It has changed hands many times, and now is no where to be found! I recovered it from the Wayback Machine long ago, and host the content exactly as I found it, in hopes that new fans will get to experience this ah...unusual...piece of work!
Contact: Giovanna or Yasha
Forum - In the Rose Garden
Gallerie • Vector Traces • Audiology • Series Scripts
Creators • Analysis • Fandom • Multimedia • Akio Ohtori
Mrs. Ohtori • Site Info
Dirty Hands • Utena Fanfiction Repository
Elegant Destruction • Inférieure
The content on Empty Movement is © Giovanna Spadaro and Yasha (who will remain otherwise nameless). Images and media scanned, ripped, and altered by us. Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena) is © Kunihiko Ikuhara, Chiho Saito, Shogakukan and bePapas/TV Tokyo and/or their respective copyright holders. The US release of the Revolutionary Girl Utena series and movie is © Nozomi Entertainment, previously © Central Park Media, and the US release of the Utena manga is © VIZ . Don't sue us.